Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Homegirl Story: Stephanie


 

I grew up in Aliso Village and I’ve known Father Greg ever since I was young.  I was in and out of trouble at a young age and I knew of Homeboy Industries.  I was in and out of the system and I started to use the resources at Homeboy Industries and Homegirl Café to change my life.  I started working for Homegirl Café in May of 2008.  I had come to Homeboy to get my juvenile record expunged and by the end of my visit, I had a job.   
Homeboy Industries changed my life in so many ways.  It gave me the opportunity to grow and understand myself and I learned how much I’m worth.  It opened many doors for me and gave me opportunities that I never imagined.  
Homegirl Café taught me patience and to never let my past define my future.  I learned to always ask questions and stay true to myself.  I will never forget my experience at Homeboy Industries.  
In August of this year, I started working at Brewster Parsons, a post-production company.  I am currently a  PA (Production Assistant) and I love my job.  I love the people I get to see every morning.  Everybody is so positive and happy to come to work.  No one judges me about my tattoos nor do they care about my past.  I love the environment that I’m in.  When I think about the future, I see myself growing with Brewster Parsons and becoming a producer.  I’m so grateful that I can finally think about the future instead of dwelling on my past.