Tuesday, July 17, 2012

marlene's story


When I was growing up, I hated school.  My mom passed away when I was three years old and my dad wasn’t around much.  There was no one around to make me go to school.  I didn’t stay at any single school for a long period of time.  I got kicked out of most schools and kept moving around.  I was doing independent studies, but I didn’t like that either. 
 
I was in high school and had two children.  It was a scary time for me and I didn’t really know how to be a mother. My boyfriend and I didn’t have a great relationship.  My kids really gave me the motivation I needed to get through school.  I realized I couldn’t play games anymore.  I needed to graduate high school so I could get a job.  I decided that I needed to go to school for my kids.  How could I tell them to go to school when they were older, if I hadn’t even gone to school?  I knew that I needed to be a better role model for them and I needed to have a good job to be able to provide for them. My boyfriend found out about the Homeboy Charter School and he told me I should apply at Homeboy Industries.  I started in Maintenance first and then started working at Homegirl Café in March.  I like working at Homegirl Café.  It’s a good place to be and I’ve gotten a lot of support.  

Now that I’ve gotten my high school diploma, I want to go on to college.  I’ve wanted to be a coroner since I was little.  I want to study bodies and determine their cause of death.  I’m going to do my general ed classes at Trade Tech and then transfer to a university to finish my degree.